First, let's go over a quick primer on mold. All molds are fungi, just like mushrooms and athlete's foot, for example. The mold that is dangerous to you and your family is relatively uncommon in the fungus kingdom, meaning most kinds aren't dangerous. However, some toxic molds are dangerous, so any mold in your home or business must be mitigated and completely removed.
Government experts recommend that you contact a black mold remediation Fayetteville NC company for cleanup help if the mold growth takes up more than about 36 square inches. When you see any big amount of mold growth, however, it's wise to call for help from mold damage cleanup. The best mold removal services can help you test for mold spots in other places around the structure using tools such as measurement devices and laboratory kits and more.
Before you contact mold removal services, the first step is to prevent the mold from getting worse. Do this by turning off any ventilation. Then, work to halt the moisture source that supplied the mold. For example, fix leaky faucets or dry out standing water if you can. Then, contain the problem. You could block off the area in question with disposable tarps, for instance.
Now, you're ready to decide whether to get mold damage removal help. Think about not only the mold area, but also any exacerbating health problems you may have. Allergy or asthma sufferers who struggle to breathe, for example, should not perform mold mitigation activities.
Once you've made the decision, there are important things to do in either direction. If you're doing the work, start with gathering the right safety gear and cleaning supplies. You'll need airtight goggles, coveralls that are easy to wash and that cover your extremities, a mold-safe mask and mold-approved gloves that reach at least to your forearms. You should also get new disposable sponges and disposable plastic sheeting that will help trap the mold you get off. Experts agree that you should not leave moldy and unpainted drywall anywhere you find it because it can't be cleaned well enough. Whatever you do, don't clean with bleach, especially if you're dealing with a substantial mold damage situation. It's completely unsuccessful for soft surfaces, and only somewhat effective on hard ones. It's also potentially toxic because it can release fumes and should never be mixed with ammonia-based cleaners such as window cleaner.
If you're concerned enough about mold problems to do online research, you will want certified a professional mold removal company. It is highly recommended that you find these companies in your area, so call for if you live there. This will ensure that you choose a company with relevant experience.
Before you choose any company, make sure that they are certified properly and that they are approved by trade organizations such as the Contractor Connection, Restoration Industry Association and the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration.
Mold damage left to grow sends off spores, which fly like dandelion seeds and can cause damage to spread rapidly. If you don't, harmful mold will continue to feast on your structure and will destroy your possessions. Some molds, those that release mycotoxins, can also cause sever health risks ranging from brain damage. Mycotoxins can be especially harmful to infants, children, and anyone with a compromised immune system .
The best way to clean up your mold problem is to get mold damage help. Don't delay.