No one likes run-ins with police, for any sort of criminal defense or questioning, including DUI. You have responsibilities and rights, in any situation. It's always useful to get a lawyer on your side.

You May Not Need to Show ID

Many individuals are not aware that they don't have to answer all an officer's questions, even if they have been pulled over. Even if you are required to show your ID, you usually don't have to say much more about anything your plans or how much you have had to drink, in the case of a drunken driving stop. These protections were put into the U.S. Constitution and seconded by Supreme Court justices. While it's usually wise to work nicely with officers, it's important to be aware that you have a right to not incriminate yourself.

Imagine a situation where officers believe you have run afoul of the law, but in fact you are innocent. This is just one situation where you ought to consider to get help from a top-tier lawyer. Laws change regularly, and differing laws apply based on jurisdiction and other factors. Furthermore, laws occasionally get adjusted during lawmaker meetings, and courts are constantly deciding new cases that shape the law further.

There are Times to Talk

It's wise to know your rights, but you should know that usually the cops aren't out to harm you. Most are decent people, and causing an issue is most likely to hurt you in the end. Refusing to work with the cops could cause trouble and endanger the neighborhood. This is another reason why hiring the best criminal defense attorney, such as kissimmee lawyer 34741 is wise. A qualified attorney in criminal defense or DUI law can help you know when to talk.

Cops Can't Always Do Searches Legally

Unless police officers have probable cause that you have committed a crime, they can't search your home or vehicle without permission. Probable cause, defined in an elementary way, is a reasonable belief that a crime has been committed. It's more complicated in reality, though. It's probably good to always refuse searches verbally and let the courts and your defense attorney sort it out later.